Jump to Navigation

Separation Agreements

Be Confident in Your Separation Agreement

Helping Parties Resolve Their Differences in Family Law Disputes

A separation agreement is a private contract between a husband and wife that memorializes their settlement. It is not filed with the court, but it can be enforced by a court of law. The separation agreement outlines the terms that the parties have agreed to during negotiation. Contact me for assistance; I help men and women draw up separation agreements and avoid going to court. These kinds of agreements make the process much easier, especially when children are involved.

Separation agreements set out all of the terms of how parties are going to resolve their individual issues. These include child custody and visitation , child support, division of assets and debt, and alimony. These agreements will include customized information that is specific to your situation and should be very detailed. The agreement must be clear enough that a court could enforce the agreement if that becomes necessary later.

Often, people will try to write their own agreements but will leave out important details about key issues. These omissions can lead to big problems. Hiring a lawyer who will look out for potential difficulties may be critical to reaching your goals

Keeping an Open Mind

When talking about a separation agreement with an attorney or with a spouse, it is important to keep an open mind with regard to the issues while protecting your rights and the rights of your children. These can include issues of property, debt, alimony, child custody, visitation, insurance, and child support that may exist between the parties. At my law office, I am familiar with these issues and prepared to help the parties reach a fair agreement.

Contact my firm in Charlotte, North Carolina at 704-333-8855 to set up an initial consultation, where we can discuss your family law concerns.



The law office of Mary V. Carrigan, Attorney at Law, provides legal representation for clients with family law matters in Charlotte, North Carolina, and throughout the surrounding area, including Mecklenburg County, Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, Pineville, Matthews and Ballantyne, North Carolina.


Mary V. Carrigan, Attorney at Law
435 East Morehead Street
Charlotte, NC 28202
Phone: 704-333-8855
Fax: 704-331-0773
Map and Directions

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.